Gazprom’s goal as related to sustainable development is to make positive contribution to the social and economic development of the country and adhere to environmental and industrial safety, corporate governance and social responsibility standards while aspiring to become the leader among the global energy companies.
Gazprom’s sustainable development objectives are to:
- Improve the corporate governance system;
- Establish the efficient and transparent stakeholder relations system;
- Facilitate personal and professional development of the Group employees;
- Facilitate social and economic development of the regions of the Group’s operations and the country in general;
- Ensure safety of the Group’s employees, counterparties and population while performing its operations;
- Minimize adverse environmental impact;
- Use natural resources in a sustainable way;
- Implement innovations at all stages of Gazprom operations.
Sustainability management is integrated in the Company corporate governance system.
Information on the key corporate documents governing the Company sustainability activities is provided in Appendix
The relevant departments of PJSC Gazprom and the executives of PJSC Gazprom subsidiaries are in charge of operational sustainability management matters. The Group’s companies may develop their own documents with regard to sustainable development, taking specific features of their operations into account. The Coordinating Committee for Environmental Protection and Energy Efficiency coordinates activities of the subsidiaries as related to environmental protection (EP) and energy efficiency.
Monitoring the Group’s sustainable development progress is based upon the set of KPIs pertaining to different areas of the corresponding activities.
The Gazprom Group supports 10 Principles of the United Nations Global Compact creating the framework for business community activities as related to human rights, labour relations, environmental protection and countering corruption, as well as 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda enacted by the Resolution of the UN General Assembly and 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) defined in it.
In course of its operations, the Gazprom Group contributes to achieving each of 17 SDGs:
- SDG 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere;
- SDG 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture;
- SDG 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages;
- SDG 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all;
- SDG 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls;
- SDG 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all;
- SDG 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all;
- SDG 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all;
- SDG 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization, and foster innovation;
- SDG 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries;
- SDG 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable;
- SDG 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns;
- SDG 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts;
- SDG 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development;
- SDG 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss;
- SDG 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels;
- SDG 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development.